All prices are approximate and are in Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR). Updated in November 2023 with approximate prices in the market.
Please note that these prices are valid only for the average common local food shops you find by the road.
- Rice and Curry 350 – 650
- Kottu : 400 – 650
- Cup of milk tea 100
- Cup of plain tea 50
Average Sri Lankan eatery adds a huge amount of sugar to tea. If you don’t like your tea too sweet then you must tell them so.
- Roll/patty/ cutlet 100 – 220
- Cheese sandwich 220 (at Perera and Sons outlets)
- Bottle of water 500ml 75, 1 litre 140, and 5 litre 400
- Egg Rotty with gravy 150
- Egg Hopper 100
- String Hoppers (kind of noodles) meal with fish or egg curry 300
- Sour plantains per kg. 160
- Banana per kg. 200
Remember these are the average prices of the average eatery. Other places may charge higher but they will show it in their menu.
- Soap 165 upwards
- Toothpaste 130 upwards
- Toothbrush 145 upwards
- Packet of cotton buds 250
- Roll of toilet paper 295
- Pack of serviettes 300
- Bottle of hand wash 300
- Hand sanitizer 200
Clothes and accessories
- There is a wide range to choose from, and I cannot give you a general amount as a price. But a swim short would be around 1500 and a pair of beach shorts would be around 2000, while a tshirt may be 2500 upwards.
- A pair of rubber slippers would cost 300 upwards at the ordinary shops while the high end shops would sell you similar ones at 1000 upwards.
- A good size bath towel would cost around 3000.
- Digital alarm clock 500– 1500
- Rechargeable Shaver 4000 – 12,000
- Basic mobile phone with a keypad 6000 – 12000
- Branded mobile phones usually are sold at their company marked price, and when you buy them from the agents you will get the relevant warranty as well.
- Porcelain cup 300 – 600
- Vacuum flask 2000 – 12000
- To-go cup 600 – 1800
- Ballpoint/gel pen 25
- Exercise book 160
- Paper cutter 150 – 300